The I-65/I-70 North Split interchange was built nearly 50 years ago, is operating at full capacity and is at the end of its useful life. INDOT reconstructed the mainline pavement between the North and South splits – dubbed HyperFix – in 2003. Other projects near the North Split addressed specific ramps or bridges that needed immediate repair. This is the first project to completely reconstruct the interchange, bridges and pavement along the North Split since it was built in 1968.
Anticipated project milestones include:
- Spring and summer 2018 – Develop and analyze alternatives
- Fall 2018 – Alternatives Screening Report published for public review and comment/public information meetings
- Winter 2019 – Initiate Context Sensitive Solutions (CSS) process
- Fall 2019 – CSS process complete
- Early 2020 – Environmental Assessment complete